Sweet Onion Casserole
(Makes 4 servings as an entrée)
|1 tablespoon (15 ml)||butter|
|1 tablespoon (15 ml)||olive oil|
|5 cups (1.25 L)||coarsely diced onions|
|1/4 cup (60 ml)||light cream or half and half|
|1 tablespoon (15 ml)||red wine vinegar|
|1 tablespoon (15 ml)||brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon (5 ml)||salt|
|1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml)||pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml)||ground nutmeg|
|1 cup (250 ml)||mix of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (177 degrees C)
- Lightly oil or spray a casserole dish (8×8) with canola oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the butter and olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat until the butter is melted.
- Add the coarsely diced onions. Cook and stir onions until they are soft and slightly browned.
- Remove onions from the frying pan with a slotted spoon. Set onions aside in a bowl to cool.
- While the onions are cooling, whisk the eggs, light cream, and red wine vinegar, together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the brown sugar, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cheese. Mix well. Add the cooked onions. Mix again.
- Pour the onion mixture into the casserole dish.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Test for doneness by shaking the casserole dish. If the center of the casserole jiggles, continue to cook until set. Let stand for five minutes before serving.
- This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight. This is one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day. Serve hot or cold.
To contact The Cooking Ladies or see more of their recipes go to www.thecookingladies.com