(Makes 4 to 6 servings)
|14 ounce (398 ml)||can pineapple tidbits|
|1/2 cup (125 ml)||brown sugar|
|4 tablespoons (60 ml)||cornstarch|
|1/4 cup (60 ml)||white vinegar|
|1/2 cup (125 ml)||ketchup|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into chunks|
|1||medium-sized onion, cut into chunks|
|1 pound (454 g)||raw shrimp, peeled, deveined (31-40 count)|
- Drain the pineapple tidbits. Save the liquid in a 2-cup measuring cup. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Add enough water to the pineapple juice in the measuring cup to make 2 cups of liquid.
- Stir the 2 cups of liquid into the brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Add the vinegar and ketchup. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a wok or deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and becomes dark red.
- Add the red pepper, onion, and pineapple tidbits. Cook and stir until the pepper and onion become tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the wok. Stir in order to cover each shrimp with the hot liquid.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the shrimp are red on the outside with a firm, white texture on the inside.
- Do not overcook the shrimp. Serve over rice with lots of sweet and sour sauce.